Removal of previously exempt water abstraction activities - new authorisations

Closed 31 Jul 2020

Opened 29 May 2019


Historically, taking water from the environment for certain uses and from certain sources could be done without an abstraction licence. We called these ‘exempt activities’.

From the 1 January 2018, new regulations came into effect which mean most of these previously exempt activities cannot continue without an abstraction licence in place.

We have created this page to provide easy access to information on applying for an abstraction licence for previously exempt activities. We will be adding more documents onto this site so please keep checking back for what’s new.

Hotline service

We also have a Hotline service to help with drafting your New Authorisation application or to answer any questions you may have.

To use the new hotline and bookable appointments service today call the Environment Agency on 03708 506506 or email them at as soon as possible.

Alternatively, you can visit our website for further information.

Who needs to apply for a licence for a previously exempt activity?

If you are abstracting more than 20 cubic metres on any one day for one of the previously exempt purposes listed below, and your abstraction started before 1 January 2018, you must apply to the Environment Agency for an abstraction licence.

The exemptions that have been removed are:

  • All forms of irrigation including trickle
  • Transfers into managed wetland systems
  • Abstractions within previously exempt areas
  • Transferring water by a navigation, harbour or conservancy authority
  • Abstracting water into and between internal drainage districts
  • Dewatering mines, quarries and engineering works
  • Warping (abstraction of water containing silt for deposit onto agricultural land)
  • The majority of abstractions covered by Crown and visiting forces

Link to application forms

You need to complete both application forms WR344 and WR346 to apply for a licence. Use guidance notes WR345 and WR347 to help you complete these application forms.

Why you should apply now

When we receive an application for an abstraction licence, we need to make sure we have all of the information we need - known as making the application valid. We will need to have your valid application by 30 June 2020.

It can take up to 3 months to validate an application, so we suggest you submit your application as soon as possible.

If we do not have a valid application from you by 30 June 2020, you will automatically lose your right to abstract. If you continue abstracting this will be an illegal activity and we may take enforcement action.

If your abstraction is for one of the purposes listed above and started after 1 January 2018, you should already have a licence through the regular application process. If you do not have a licence, you will be abstracting illegally. In this case you should stop abstracting and apply to us for a licence. You can visit our website for an application form and guidance.


  • Recreational and commercial river users
  • Fishing clubs and representative associations
  • Businesses
  • Charities
  • Statutory organisations
  • NGOs
  • Members of the public
  • Elected representatives, including MPs
  • Local councils
  • The nuclear industry
  • All water abstractors
  • Environment Agency customers
  • River based salmon angling owners/fishing clubs/organisations
  • National based fishery, conservation and landowner organisations
  • Government family organisations
  • IDBs
  • Local authorities
  • District and parish councils
  • Environmental bodies
  • Land owners
  • Farming associations
  • Drainage associations
  • Elected representatives, including MPs
  • Water companies
  • Members of the public
  • Recreational and commercial river users
  • Community groups
  • Operators
  • Medium Combustion Plants
  • Trade associations and business
  • Other regulators
  • Members of the public
  • Community groups
  • Non-governmental organisations with an interest in environmental issues
  • Environment Agency colleagues
  • Members of the public
  • Town and parish councils
  • Regional Flood and Coastal Committees
  • Internal Drainage Boards
  • Engagement specialists/operational staff in Natural Resources Wales, local authorities and other risk management authorities


  • Business and industry
  • Water resources
  • Water quality
  • Drought
  • Habitats and wildlife
  • Waste
  • Permits
  • Nuclear
  • Environmental permitting
  • Installation
  • Radioactive substances regulations